QualitySolicitors Chapman & Chubb

QualitySolicitors Chapman & Chubb
Meet our Staff

Friday 16 August 2013

So you want to be a lawyer?



A few comments made in response to the Law Society Gazette’s article* on the increase in candidate numbers attending the University of Law. *(Wednesday 14 August 2013 by Jonathan Rayner)

Submitted by Annony Mouse on Thu, 15/08/2013 - 13:37.
On my way to sit my final exam for my LLB at university, I visited the gents' nearest the exam room. I noticed that someone had taken the trouble to write a graffito above one of the loo-roll dispensers. It read "Law degrees, please take one". That was getting on for 20 years ago. Perhaps today's prospective students would benefit from paying a similar visit before signing up to their intended courses.
Submitted by NordyT on Thu, 15/08/2013 - 16:02.
The problem with our profession is that too many young people are coming into it for the wrong reasons. The media have glamourised it, the teaching institutions dont teach the correct skills and the Law Society is as much use to the profession as a chocolate teapot. Those who can do and those who cant become Law Society administrators.
Submitted by Claimant PI Solicitor on Thu, 15/08/2013 - 17:04.
The only advice I would give these young law students is this - if I had my time again, knowing what I know now I would have done things very differently, I would not have entered the legal profession.
Submitted by Annony Mouse on Thu, 15/08/2013 - 17:10.
I imagine that a lot of us are thinking of re-training. I'm too old and fat to be in a boy band these days, and so my options may be limited.

No comments:

Post a Comment